Sunday, December 26, 2010

Baby's in Black

Nathaniel had his bris today. Instead of 8 days later, it turned out to be 28 Days Later. Mom-mom and pop-pop were here of course, but grandma and grandpa listened to the ceremony on speakerphone. We offered video Skype but they suggested that this might be one ritual that is better without seeing it. They were right. Nate did ok. He was fussy but not really from pain, since he did get a shot of lidocaine. We expect it to get a bit worse tonight.

Susie asked me if, religious custom aside, I would want the boys circumcised. I don't know. At a very basic level, it is barbaric and has no practical value. So why do we do it? The U.S. is apparently about the only country left that generally circumcises its boys without religious commandment. But this seems to be changing very quickly. So, if Nate weren't Jewish, I don't think I'd do it.

But, Nate is Jewish.

(By the way, an "update" to my blogging software has taken away my ability to post pictures. Hopefully that will be corrected soon.)




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Day St,San Francisco,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment